Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Why do some Chinese have one long finger nail and the rest short???

I asked this question before amongst others.. but wasn't satisfied with the people that were replying so I thought I'd give it another shot.





I have heard different things... some say its a status symbol to show they are not working class, others say its for goodluck.. and I have even heard its for picking their noses!


Whats the REAL reason?


Are you Chinese? Do you do this? WHY?Why do some Chinese have one long finger nail and the rest short???
When I was in China I met a young man with a long pinky nail and he said he came from a rural farming community (now he works in the city) and having the long nail signifies you have a job where manual labor isn't needed. I believe someone replied with this answer to your previous posting of the question, and I think it is the correct answer.Why do some Chinese have one long finger nail and the rest short???
The only photos that I have seen these long nails are those which portray women from the Qing Dynasty (that is, the last one), and usually only on women from great families or royalty.





My deduction is that it is a status symbol of wealth and position. The rationale being that a long nail on the pinky can easily be broken, so any woman who had to work, either for a living or even house chores, would never have a chance of growing one long enough before it would break.
For multi-purpose usage like for nose ,ears food in between teeth etc etc. Another reason I heard is that the Chinese strongly believe that if the last and the third fingers are in equal length, it will bring them luck. Gamblers, if you care to notice closely practise this.
this site gives many reasons
Some keep one of there nails long for drug use.


However, this doesn't just apply to Chinese.


It's called a crack nail and it's usually the pinky.
To pick their noses and teeth!!
Great nose picker.
did you see or listen from some one? coz em working with all chinies staff and they have normal nails like us.....

No comments:

Post a Comment